Sunday 1 March 2015

Paper Rose Tutorial | lifeasapetite

Boo!

I hope you've all had a fantastic week. Seeing as though the last time I mentioned this Paper Rose was back in September (DIY Gift Ideas), this post is long over due. I hope you find this tutorial helpful, and with Mother's Day coming up soon this would make a lovely card :)
TOOLS:
- A4 Paper/Craft Paper
- Glue
- Scissors
- Paintbrush/Tooth Pick/Cotton Bud
- Glitter/Anything Decorative (Optional)



1) If you have square craft paper it is not necessary to complete this step.
As we want to use a square piece of paper, if you are using A4 Paper, firstly fold the A4 sheet in half, then complete steps 2 and 3 below to achieve the square shape.
Keep the rectangular shape you cut off when creating the square as we will use this piece of scrap paper later on in the tutorial.
We need 4 of these square pieces of paper:

2) For the next step it might be easier using the 'Cabbage Rose Corsage' Template below as I have yet to understand how to properly achieve this shape. I actually followed THIS Youtube video, but as it doesn't explain it very well I'll try to explain it as clearly as I can.
Taking one of the square papers, fold it diagonally to obtain a triangle. The end result you want to achieve is a diamond shape with two equal sized triangles near the side of it.
In the picture below, I have inserted a dotted line - that is to be the middle of the diamond shape. You need to fold the two corners upwards to create the two equal sized triangles.
I've tried to shown with the black arrow below where the two corners should cross. Where the two cross should actually be the middle of the diamond shape.
And you should get something like this. I can completely understand if that wasn't easy to follow - if you would like me to explain this, even after watching the Youtube video please drop me a comment below!

3) The next step is to cut out a petal shape, and then cut off the pointed part of the petal shown by the dotted line below. When you open it up, you should get a full flower template with a hole in the middle. I actually cut the hole too large here, it would be much easier to cut it slightly smaller as shown in the template above. 
And you shold do the same with the remaining 3 pieces of paper and should be left with 4 flower templates.

4) The next step is to curl the petals. This is where you use your paintbrush/cotton bud to curl the petal. If your flower templates are smaller I would use something like a cotton bud, however if yours is bigger like mine, then use a thin paint brush - it gives a more subtle curl.
Do this to all four templates.

5) With all four templates curled the next step is to cut them. Cut where the dotted lines are shown below:

And this is what you should be left with: 6, 5, 4, two 3's, 2, and 1 petal

6) Do you remember the scrap rectangular piece of paper above? Well this is where we will use it - cut a circle large enough to cover the flower hole (hence it being better to have cut a smaller hole before).

 Add some clue to this circle and stick the 6 petal flower template onto the circle like so:


 6) You may have noticed that we have two 3-petal templates, but we actually one need to use the one.
For the remaining flower templates you need to clue them a the blue points shown below.
For the smallest template (1 petal) I would advice curling it first before gluing, as it makes the gluing process a lot easier.
And you should end up with these:

7) Taking the 2 largest templates (5 petal), and the 6-petal template that has already been glued to a circle backing, glue the centre of the 6-petal template and stick the 5-petal template down as shown below:

8) Repeat step 7 and you should end up with this rose: 

You could leave the rose as it is, or you can add some glitter, and glue it onto a card like so:

I hope you found this tutorial useful - do let me know whether you need any clarification on anything :)

Do you know what you're getting for Mother's Day?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Take care and speak soon. 


• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • 
Other DIY posts you may be interested in:
DIY Bordered Heart Bracelet Tutorial DIY Butterfly

84 comments:

  1. The end result looks amazing x


    www.ofbeautyandnothingness.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah Latoya Bond1 March 2015 at 16:45

    A great post on how to make paper flowers. You give really good instructions too, I like how you numbered the steps and put pictures up too x


    themakeupjunkiesdiary.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, what a cute looking flower, I'll show it to my daughter and perhaps we'll try it together :) Thanks for the clear instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much! If you both do end up trying it, it'll be lovely to see how they turn out :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!! I;m glad you found it useful :) enjoy the rest of your week! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful work
    nice blog dear
    NEW BLOG POST : http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/ .
    THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this looks really cool! Seems like something my nieces would love too, maybe something we can do together! :)

    meimei xx
    www.meimeisays.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful that you made this yourself, the overall effect is dainty, feminine and beautiful! Have a wonderful week :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look amazing and rather simple to do now I have read the instructions. Great post x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a cute crafting idea, thanks for sharing! xx

    Amy | www.perksofbeingamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. India Benjamin2 March 2015 at 21:27

    This is so cute, and seems really easy! Although I am so bad at origami that I bet I can also ruin this haha! :)

    India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

    ReplyDelete
  12. Origami is so much fun, this is adorable :)


    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent... love the detail in the writing and the great images to help guide me through my attemps

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a pretty paper rose. All the better for it being homemade. Perfect for MOther's Day. Tx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mellissa Williams3 March 2015 at 14:47

    That looks so effective. A great idea to add to a card for a birthday or Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so pretty, thanks for this tutorial. In Spain we celebrate Mother's Day on the first Sunday of May, so I still have some time before getting the gift for my mom.

    Jasmine xx

    For a Real Woman

    ReplyDelete
  17. such a cute idea! Thanks for the tutorial - I love origami style art ♥

    http://storybookapothecary.com ♥ stop by and chat with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so adorable and amazing! i love handicrafts and this was really easy to follow except the folding part. Thanks for the idea I was wondering what I could do for my mum :D Lovely idea! Thanks for sharing :)


    Gig Love,
    -Siew Hui, http://3verythingilove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. anubhooti khanna3 March 2015 at 18:19

    so creative.... absolutely adorable.... i love to make such things and i am definitely trying this idea..thanks hun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that looks very easy to make and it is very pretty too! thanks for the thorough DIY instructions.
    http://cherpopiah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job on this! I'm terrible at arts and crafts stuff, so I'll just admire what you did instead. I'm too afraid to try it out myself. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  22. omg you are so creative and this is so beautiful.
    thank you for the inspiration for us :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful idea. You are really creative, will try this DIY soon.
    GlamupGirls

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you! If you guys do decide to do it, it would be lovely to see how the turn out in the end :) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much Gabrielle, and for your lovely comment as well! Hope you're having a fab week as well :) x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you, I'm glad you found the instructions easy enough to read and thank you for the comment! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much amy, I'm glad you liked it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Origami usually takes me a couple of times to get right so don't worry if it doesn't turn out right the first time :) x

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is, can get a bit annoying at times:p but definitely worth it after seeing the end product :) x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much! Good luck with your attempt!! x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so much Tracey! Handmade gifts are perfect for these kind of occassions :) x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you! definitely, and any other occassion would also be great too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  33. You're very welcome! The folding can be a bit tricky but if you cut out the template things will be a lot easier :) If you have any questions do drop me a message :) x

    ReplyDelete
  34. No problem! I'm glad you liked it :) Would love to see how it turns out if you do try it out x

    ReplyDelete
  35. You're welcome! Hopefully I'll have a origami butterfly tutorial up soon as well and will let you know :) Thank you for your lovely comment x

    ReplyDelete
  36. You're very welcome, I'm glad you fine the instructions easy enough to follow! x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you! aww don't be, i'm sure you'll be amazing at it :) ! I'm quite clumsy as well, and these things do take so much effort/patience at times, but you'll be so proud once you've done it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  38. it can be a bit tricky if you're making the template, but if you just print out the already made one things are a lot easier :) x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you very much :) BEst of luck if you do end up doing it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you so much! Would love to see how they turn out! If anything isn't clear do let me know :) x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Jadirah Sarmad5 March 2015 at 13:05

    These are so lovely! What a smart tutorial! :) x

    Jadirah Sarmad | Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
  42. Heena Shah-Dhedhi6 March 2015 at 07:07

    These are lovely, alas I dont think I have the patience to do these.
    GIGLove www.icynosure.in

    ReplyDelete
  43. wow, thanks for sharing this step by step guide! and we can use different coloured papers to make a rainbow rose too!

    ReplyDelete
  44. wow beautiful rose..i have been making crepe rose too.....it's so time consuming!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great post, the rose looks amazing. I wish I had time to do things like this but I'm not very good at creative things.

    GIG LOVE | The Life of Leeshastarr

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your rose looks fabulous!
    I'm definitely going to have a go at this,
    Thanks for sharing such a detailed tutorial!
    Pixee xx

    ReplyDelete
  47. I am not a DIY type of girl. Chalk it up to laziness...lol. But this is a good post. I love your blog.

    http://llhuxlounge.com/

    ReplyDelete
  48. This is so cute, cant believe you made this! Thanks for the tutorial :) xoxo Francy @ http://www.fancy-francy.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is so so so prettyy!!!! Love it!! I would definitely try it when I have the time =D

    ReplyDelete
  50. such a cute tutorial! i use to make a lot of cards and this makes me want to go back to it and add this rose to one of them XD

    ReplyDelete
  51. No idea what I am getting but I bet no one will make me a rose like this; it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Waww you are creative! I love DIY to.Maybe in weekend I will try this

    Beauty Secret's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wow! This looks so preeeeeety! I wish I were as creative as you. good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh wow!! This came out GORGEOUS! My daughter is really into making arts and crafts so I'll definintely be showing this to her to make.

    ReplyDelete
  55. This is beautiful! You are so talented, absolutely perfect for Mother's day too!

    Tweet xx

    ReplyDelete
  56. Oh wow these are fabulous, look so hard to make though :) x

    ReplyDelete
  57. OMG you're so creative! This is gorgeous and so different x

    ReplyDelete
  58. lovely! I wish I had more time for crafty stuff! beautiful xx


    http://www.rachelbustin.com

    ReplyDelete
  59. So pretty! I'd never think to do this, great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Wow! These look absolutely beautiful! x


    Rachael xo || justrach.com

    ReplyDelete
  61. Thank you so much, that's really kind of you:) x

    ReplyDelete
  62. Thank you! Some parts can be a bit frustrating but it's just takes a little getting used to :) x

    ReplyDelete
  63. If you do give it a go I would love to see how they turn out! I'd definitely recommend printing out the templates as it's a little easier and also takes less time :) x

    ReplyDelete
  64. You're very welcome! Ooh a rainbow rose would be amazing! Not sure whether I'd be great a putting the different complementary shades though haha. Might be quite good to make one with colours from the same spectrum x

    ReplyDelete
  65. Thank you! They do take a little while so definitely recommend doing this when you have time or even just when watching tv etc x

    ReplyDelete
  66. Thank you! You're very creative on the fashion side :D x

    ReplyDelete
  67. You're very welcome! Do let me know if you need clarification on anything and good luck! X

    ReplyDelete
  68. Thank you very much for your lovely comment :) haha it can be a bit time consuming but for some reason i find it therapeutic :p x

    ReplyDelete
  69. You're very welcome, i'm glad you like it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  70. thank you so much! if you do, good luck and let me know if you need a hand with anything :) x

    ReplyDelete
  71. It's always finding time to do these kind of things :( hopefully you find some time soon :) x

    ReplyDelete
  72. Thank you so much! It's always great when something turns out the way you hoped:) x

    ReplyDelete
  73. Thank you! I'm sure youd be able to:) if you do decide to have a go, let me know if you need any help:) x

    ReplyDelete
  74. Finding time to do things like this is definitely difficult, I've resorted to doing them in front of the telly:p x

    ReplyDelete
  75. That's such a lovely thing to say, thanks so much! X

    ReplyDelete
  76. Sticking the parts together can be a bit tricky but it's not too bad:) x

    ReplyDelete
  77. Thank you so much! I'm sure your daughter will have a lot of fun doing this:) x

    ReplyDelete
  78. Thank you! I'm sure you are! But even if not you're definitely creative in the fashion department:) x

    ReplyDelete
  79. I hope you had time to try it:D if not maybe sometime in the future:) x

    ReplyDelete
  80. Thank you so much! Aww I'm sure you got something just as lovely and thoughtful :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for passing by, I really appreciate it! Have a lovely day :D Feel free to email me on lifeasapetite@outlook.com ☺

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...